This page has been prepared by Matthew Foster. It will be regularly revised.
If you are knowledgeable on this topic or on any other please feel free to edit.
“Toxins love to get you while you’re young. Lead, mercury, second-hand smoke and sundry other environmental nasties do a lot more damage when tissue is immature, vulnerable and growing than when it’s mature and comparatively fixed.” Jeffrey Kluger
One group of toxins that our bodies must contend with are called endocrine disrupters. They can lock into our hormone receptors and, unlike natural hormones, they may never decay. A person may suffer their whole life because of the mixed messages these toxins carry – Matt Foster – Verdensborger
But first a question: Do you think that the time has passed for writing about it, reading about it and talking about it and time to collectively do something real and tangible? That is what this idea of Civis Mundi is all about!
There is grave concern growing about the rapid and unrestricted use of chemicals. The synthetic compounds are contaminating water, soil, wildlife, and even humans causing severe health problems.
Here are some of the problems with both toxins and toxicants
There is egg shell thinning, cancer, reproduction problems, neurobehavioral problems, immune system problems, die offs in wildlife, and a host of other concerns. The problems are especially pronounced in top-of-the-food-chain predatory species that eat other contaminated animals and concentrate the chemicals.
Within an organism, unseen electrical and chemical signals dominate. The pulses and molecules facilitate communication inside a cell, between cells, and among organs and body systems. In people and vertebrate animals, the endocrine, nervous, and immune systems use chemical messengers, such as hormones and enzymes, to regulate body function, control behavior, and integrate hormone, brain, immune and other body systems.
Our first global petition might look something like this:
Directed To: The governments of all 196 countries of earth.
“We the citizens of this planet, request that those elected to represent the interests of the environment and the welfare of all citizens, immediately ban the use of tritium in any product.” – Of course it would be great if we could ban all of the toxins/toxicants with one worldwide treaty but it would be wiser to pick on something easier to start with.
The next 24 year petitions could draw from the following:
- The list below will expand and be edited if you care to input.
- Hormone mimicking chemicals
- Oestradiol mimicking compounds
- Dental amalgam pollution – Mercury and Minimoto disease
- Lead pollution
- Pesticide chemicals
- Depleted uranium usage and contamination
- Gasoline additive problems
- Tritium filled lighting
- Pressure treated wood
- CFC, PAH, DDT
- Growth hormones
- 80,000 synthetic chemicals,
- PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls)
- Methyl parathion in pesticide
- Phthalates as found in plastic wrap, plastic bottles, and plastic food storage containers.
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds) – such as formaldehyde; can be found in drinking water and sewage systems.
- Dioxins chemical compounds Asbestos is found in the insulation of flows, ceilings, water pipes, and heating ducts.
- Heavy metals include arsenic, mercury, lead, aluminum, and cadmium,
- Hair dye
- Drugs in birth control pills
Video links by others (What are you suggestions?)
Groups reporting on this category (what are your suggestions?)
It would help if you considered some of these ideas
Tulane University paper http://e.hormone.tulane.edu/learning/docking-receptor-binding.html